8.13.2010

Our 6 Month Mark

We have been Annapolitans for six months now! Wow, time has flown! During the five and a half years we've been married, we have faced many struggles. Job loss, starting a family, death of loved ones...to name a few. I believe these events have only made us stronger and prepared us for the road ahead. Adapting to a different culture and a life in full-time ministry has been interesting. At times exciting and at times exhausting.

I have found it difficult to form close friendships in my new city. A lot of people in this area are very career driven, not God driven or family driven. They marry later in life and have kids later in life. Maybe it's because careers are thought so important or maybe it's financially necessary, but women are not usually stay-at-home moms here. I think the job of "homemaker" is looked down upon by many. So a Christian, 27-year-old, stay-at-home mom of two kids? I am not the norm! I also get the feeling that a lot of Annapolis moms are...well, hippies. Everything organic, breastfeeding for years, cloth diapers, etc. I do my part to try to be "green", but I'm not a crazy person and I don't want to push a fancy jogging stroller every morning while I sip organic coffee! Basically, it's been hard to bond with people in my stage of life. Please pray for me in this area!

There are many things I love about the Bay Area. I love all the cool east coast cities that are nearby and all the fun places to go and things to do. I love that we will have four seasons, that's right FOUR! I'm excited for my favorite season, Fall, and to see all the changing colors. I love the malls here. Maybe it's because I came from the Golden Triangle Mall, but I think the Annapolis mall is completely awesome and it's like a minute from my house. I like that there's a ton of good consignment shops even though I've only been to one. I think crab picking is pretty cool even though it's gross and my husband says he will never do it again. I love Whole Foods and of course Target, which has Dr. Pepper in the fountain! Could Target get any higher on my list?! And I love all the amazing parks that we have here.

All in all, I think it's been a great six months! I'm interested to see what the next six will hold. Thank you for your continued prayers over our family!

3 comments:

  1. i will definitely be praying! i spent a good bit of time in DC when i was a single congressional aide, so i understand the culture up there. your description is perfect! :0) but know i'm praying for you. i'm so proud of you for continuing to obey God's will for your life and live counter-culturally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you and miss you. Thanks for the great updates. Makes me feel like I still get to be in on your lives a bit. And, I'm totally jealous of the 4 seasons thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I'm so blessed by your friendship!

    ReplyDelete