8.22.2010

Pick-Your-Own Farm

A couple of weeks ago we went to one of Maryland's many pick-your-own farms. We drove nearly an hour to get to Larriland Farm, but it was totally worth it. We were there for hours picking blueberries, peaches, raspberries, potatoes, tomatoes and onions. It was so much fun for all of us! Emorie was so proud of each piece of fruit she picked. That night we made a salad using the fresh veggies we bought at the farm and baked the potatoes we had picked out of the ground ourselves. It was a very yummy dinner!

I spent a lot of time last week using the fruits and veggies that we had picked ourselves in new recipes. I made my own potato soup, tomato soup, cobbler (twice), blueberry pancakes and much more. And now I remember why I don't make things from scratch...it takes to long! I didn't think my tomato soup was very good so I think I'll stick to Campbell's condensed soup. We really liked the potato soup though!


Spicy Potato Soup
6 c. cubed potatoes
1c. chopped carrots
3 c. chicken broth
2 tbsp. butter
1 clove minced garlic
2 tsp. parsley
1 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
salt & pepper to taste
Put everything in crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours. 
Add 3 c. milk mixed with 1/2 c. flour 1 hour before serving.

The best of all the new recipes I tried was definitely the peach/raspberry dessert I made! It was kind of like a cobbler, but called for oatmeal in the topping. Here's the link for this Raspberry Peach Crumble:
It was so good that I made it AGAIN a few days later! The second time I left out the raspberries and only used peaches because we didn't have any raspberries left. The general consensus was that it's better WITH the raspberries. Either way, this dessert with a side of ice cream is heavenly!

No comments:

Post a Comment