8.09.2010

Back to Little D

Recently, I was able to make a short trip back to Denton. Our friends, the DeRoche's were awesome to pick me up at the airport and let me stay at their house! As we left DFW and started driving into town, I started to feel really homesick. Wow, I hadn't realized how much I missed this town! What's the first thing we did? Get some BBQ and Dr. Pepper from Sonic! Actually, I hit up Sonic almost every day I was there. I had such a good time seeing many of my closest friends!! So, this trip prompted me to start recording some of the differences between Texas and Maryland...

First of all, in Texas, people are just plain friendlier. People hold doors open for you and are not as horn happy while driving. In Maryland, I've left the grocery store nearly in tears more than once and it wasn't because of the prices! These people need some Jesus.

Dr. Pepper is more readily available in Texas. It is the home of Dr. Pepper. I mean some McDonald's don't even offer Dr. Pepper. Isn't that unamerican? Is that a word? Also, Sonic is nowhere to be seen around here...so I guess they figured if we don't sell Dr. Pepper, why have a Sonic? Maryland is also lacking in the area of good Mexican food and BBQ. It's just different here. Although, the seafood is amazing! You can't go to any event without having a crab dip of some sort.

Next, we do not have a Walmart in Annapolis. I believe that's a point in favor of Maryland! Can you believe I haven't stepped inside a Walmart in nearly six months? And if not having a Walmart wasn't crazy enough, I've never seen so many gas stations without gas. Why would you have a 7-Eleven that doesn't have any gas pumps? If you're driving through this area and you need gas, don't look up nearby gas stations on your gps because chances are they won't even have any gas. I guess we're fond of the convenience store here. One convenience store that I had never heard of before moving here is Wawa. Supposedly it's a big deal. Our house backs up to a Wawa, but they don't have a single gas pump either. Pretty good shakes though!

So, say you are driving through Maryland...you better fill up before you leave! Unlike your drive through most of Texas, you're not going to see tons of gas stations, restaurants, hotels, retail stores, etc. Driving down Maryland highways you will see tons of beautiful trees! And you really can't drive anywhere around here without going over water. Sailboats are everywhere. I guess we are in the sailing capital of America! Another thing you will not see while driving anywhere in Maryland is a million huge pick-up trucks. High-end cars are in abundance here. You practically have to have a brand new BMW to pass a Maryland car inspection. I'm not bitter at all.

Well, now that I have rambled on for so long, I will have to save the rest of my thoughts on Texas v. Maryland until another entry. Why are my blogs so long?

2 comments: